Mark Schofield and Matt Waldman examine several plays from Zach Wilson’s portfolio of work and discuss the craft of quarterback evaluation and the range of outcomes for this 2021 NFL Draft prospect.
One of the most polarizing players at the top of the class, Mark Schofield has Zach Wilson as his third-ranked quarterback and Matt Waldman has him sixth on his board. Both have him graded as a player capable of starting in the NFL.
Here’s what they shared during this hour-long show that should help viewers getter a better feel for this rookie prospect who could go as high as second overall in the 2021 NFL Draft:
- Wilson makes good vertical throws, but his decision-making and accuracy are often not optimal.
- Where “nitpicking” Wilson’s decision-making, pocket movement, and accuracy has value but will lead to a wider range of potential outcomes and leads to a more volatile conclusion about Wilson’s potential.
- Why the wide-zone scheme fit could still generate a learning curve for Wilson as a decision-maker.
- Where Wilson has flawed mechanics that hurt his accuracy.
- The pros and cons of how Wilson sees the field.
- Why a specific on-field behavior of Wilson might have an impact on how others perceive his leadership.
- Where Wilson shows anticipation as a passer.
- The type of coverage Wilson doesn’t respect and that line between aggression and arrogance is blurry.
- How evaluators should view pinpoint and general accuracy relative to throws that may not appear “pinpoint” but are in the appropriate context.
- Where Wilson could also have a nice schematic fit in the NFL.
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), download the 2021 Rookie Scouting Portfolio for $21.95.
Matt’s new RSP Dynasty Rankings and Two-Year Projections Package is available for $24.95
If you’re a fantasy owner and interested in purchasing past publications for $9.95 each, the 2012-2020 RSPs also have a Post-Draft Add-on that’s included at no additional charge.
Best yet, a percentage of each sale is set aside for a year-end donation to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse.