Matt Waldman had the pleasure of hanging out with Cal Shoemake for an 80-minute conversation about dynasty prospects and the Rookie Scouting Portfolio.
After doing two podcasts with Cal Shoemake, I’ve become a big fan of his work as a host. One of the things I appreciate about Cal is his willingness to take different angles with interview subjects making the rounds.
- Matt’s training and how it informed the RSP.
- Why Matt evaluates with Yes/No questions.
- The two scoring methods that Matt uses to evaluate a player.
- Why certain grading scales–especially the NFL’s scouting–creates unnecessary variation.
- The value of systematic processes dedicated to continuous learning.
- Why competition for readers eyeballs matters, but it doesn’t have to be a cutthroat thing.
- How Matt evaluates potential within a player.
- Matt’s take on popular draft and fantasy narratives:
- Are pocket quarterbacks going extinct?
- The NFL Combine doesn’t matter.
- Why compensatory factors matter when looking at data.
- Ideal landing spots for 2021 rookies
- Thoughts on various prospects.
- NFL players in new situations.
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), download the 2021 Rookie Scouting Portfolio for $21.95.
Matt’s new RSP Dynasty Rankings and Two-Year Projections Package is available for $24.95
If you’re a fantasy owner and interested in purchasing past publications for $9.95 each, the 2012-2020 RSPs also have a Post-Draft Add-on that’s included at no additional charge.
Best yet, a percentage of each sale is set aside for a year-end donation to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse.