In episode seven of Scout Talk, Matt Waldman and Russ Lande discuss the difference between scouting in the CFL and the NFL, why college all-star games must be placed in a proper context that takes years to do, trade thoughts on Alabama quarterback Tua Tagovailoa, and Matt delves into the RSP mailbag to answer reader and listener questions about DeeJay Dallas, Devin Singletary, and CeeDee Lamb.
Scout Talk begins the New Year on a positive note for Russ Lande, who accepted a scouting job with the Calgary Stampeders over the holiday. Congratulations to Russ, who will be starting immediately for this fabled CFL franchise–and it’s equally good news that Russ can continue to do the Scout Talk podcast.
This week, Russ and I delve into the CFL, all-star games, and Tua Tagovailoa:
- Why a CFL scout often has a more direct impact on a club’s personnel decisions than an NFL scout and why part of their gig includes recruiting players as well as the challenges with luring quality football players abroad.
- What are the pitfalls of college all-star games that young scouts (in the game and the media) fall into?
- Which drills are most valuable to Russ and Matt when it comes to the trenches, receivers, and defensive backs?
- Our thoughts on quarterback Tua Tagovailoa.
- Matt’s RSP mailbag: What did I think of Devin Singletary’s rookie year? Is a running back’s enthusiasm for contact as a pass protector a good sign for his ability to become more technically sound? How to determine if a wide receiver’s high rate of contested catches is a product of speed, route running, quarterback play, or role in the offense.
As always, thanks for listening and you can reach Matt at firstname.lastname@example.org for feedback.
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), pre-order the 2020 Rookie Scouting Portfolio for $21.95 available for download April 1.
If you’re a fantasy owner and interested in purchasing past publications for $9.95 each, the 2012-2019 RSPs also have a Post-Draft Add-on that’s included at no additional charge.
Best, yet, a percentage of every sale is set aside to make a year-end donation to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:00:47 — 55.7MB)
Subscribe to Matt Waldman’s RSP Cast Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS