Former NFL Scout and CFL scouting director Russ Lande and RSP author Matt Waldman continue their twice-monthly scouting podcast. This week, they discuss acclimation time for young players, new lessons they’re applying to scout talent, rookies they’re monitoring closely, and 2020 prospects that have caught their eye.
Doing this podcast with Russ Lande is a guilty pleasure because we’re having the conversations I long to have with colleagues about player evaluation. Over the course of the hour, Russ and I cover some excellent topics as well as past, present, and future NFL players while sharing how we scout the game:
- Player acclimation time and how team views of Jared Goff’s and Carson Wentz’s readiness flipped after the draft.
- Why Brady Quinn wowed during pre-draft interviews.
- The imperfect craft of interviews and determining character and leadership, including stories about former Colts standout safety Bob Sanders, Bills runner Frank Gore, and Ravens cornerback Jimmy Smith.
- Skills we’ve recently learned that are helping us get better as scouts.
- Independent hand usage of offensive linemen.
- Wide receiver release techniques and break techniques based on specific defender positions.
- Rookies we’re monitoring based on our evaluations.
- Drew Lock
- Miles Sanders
- Devin Singletary
- Noah Fant
- 2020 NFL Draft prospects who’ve caught our eye.
- Indiana offensive lineman Coy Cronk.
- Ole Miss runner Scottie Phillips.
- North Carolina tight end Carl Tucker.
- Minnesota wide receiver Tyler Johnson
If you love the NFL Draft and player evaluation, you’ll find these conversations fascinating and enjoyable. You can follow Russ on Twitter @RussLande and read more of his content at www.russlande.com
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), pre-order the 2020 Rookie Scouting Portfolio for a discounted price of $19.95 during the early-bird period of Thursday, December 5th through Friday, December 27th.
If you’re a fantasy owner and interested in purchasing past publications for $9.95 each, the 2012-2019 RSPs also have a Post-Draft Add-on that’s included at no additional charge.
Best, yet, 10 percent of every sale is set aside until the RSP has reached its annual goal of donating $5,000 Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse.
Podcast: Play in new window | Download (Duration: 1:07:09 — 61.5MB)
Subscribe to Matt Waldman’s RSP Cast Google Podcasts | Stitcher | Email | RSS