Matt Waldman’s RSP Cast hosts @alltwentytwo for a conversation about new and old offenses in the NFL, the subject of scouting talent, analytics, and running back value.
Betz is a Twitter mainstay in the football community. A veteran of the Air Force getting his undergrad, Betz developed an interest in football while reading Chris Brown’s work at Grantland. Soon after, he found his way to coaching forums and began studying tape to learn the structures of football. He’s truly a student of the game.
In this episode, Betz and I discuss a variety of topics that I believe you’ll find interesting an informative:
- The origins of the Chiefs offense, the Air Raid, and how it works.
- What makes Patrick Mahomes a special prospect?
- What made Chad Kelly compelling to him? And why Kelly’s self-destructive behavior is also disappointing for an enthusiast of scheme and strategy?
- Where public analytics writers are on and off the mark about running backs.
- On the mark: Situational blocking scheme usage.
- Off the mark: Oversimplifying what they see on film because they don’t understand the technique, concepts, and strategies the position requires.
- Why Betz has no interest in scouting talent.
- Betz’s path of study with football and suggestions to others.
I had a lot of fun talking with Betz. He’s a thoughtful, intelligent guest with a good sense of humor. I look forward to having him on again in the future. I think you will, too.
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), get the 2019 Rookie Scouting Portfolio. If you’re a fantasy owner the Post-Draft Add-on comes with the 2012 – 2018 RSPs at no additional charge.
Best, yet, 10 percent of every sale is donated to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse. You can purchase past editions of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio for just $9.95 each. You can pre-order the 2019 RSP now through December 28 and get a 10 percent discount.