Matt Waldman’s RSP Cast hosts Reception Perception creator Matt Harmon for a compelling discussion about receiver evaluation around 2018 NFL Draft pick Dante Pettis.
I’ve done my share of podcasts, and I’ve hosted a lot of conversations in the RSP Film Room on YouTube. This is one of the best conversations about the craft of evaluating a position that I’ve recorded. Matt Harmon, creator of Reception Perception is my guest and we were both pumped about the outcome of this 45-minute discussion:
- Similarities and differences with our evaluation process.
- The value of alignment, route, and target data and how it applies to Dante Pettis.
- Who Pettis reminds us of in the NFL in terms of potential usage.
- The changes in the NFL and how it impacts our evaluation of receivers.
- The expected and unexpected outcomes of using a strict process for evaluating performance.
- How our information marries up when analyzing receiver player and using Pettis as an example.
- How an NFL team might use our information, or existing information like it, to analyze prospects.
- Why our discussion applies so well to the fascinating offseason acquisitions of the Oakland Raiders.
Credit to RSP reader Matthew Klugman for suggesting the conversation. We had a fantastic time doing this and I think you’ll find it a great listen.
Also available on YouTube:
For analysis of skill players, get the 2018 Rookie Scouting Portfolio, now available for pre-order. If you’re a fantasy owner the Post-Draft Add-on comes with the 2012 – 2018 RSPs at no additional charge. Best, yet, 10 percent of every sale is donated to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse. You can purchase past editions of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio for just $9.95 each.