The Lullaby Project, Reception Perception, Sonic Tonic, Lance Zierlein, and Smart Football’s Career Epitaph for June Jones.
What is Reads Listens Views?
If you’re new to the Rookie Scouting Portfolio blog, welcome. I post links on Fridays to content I’m saving for later consumption or pieces that I found compelling. You may not like everything listed here, but you’re bound to like something.
Views – Lego Football Factory
The next project that Fantasy Throwdown Mike MacGregor & Son will be undertaking in their basement.
Listens-The Lullaby Project – René Marie
RSP Film Room: “Tackle Fest” w/Lance Zierlein
Lance Zierlein gave an absolute clinic on offensive line play when he broke down the game of OT Brandon Scherff. Points of discussion from these shows include:
- Why technique is so important to understand when evaluating players.
- The why and how of having flat feet when delivering a punch.
- Why tackles don’t want to “open the door” too early against edge rushers.
- Why you shouldn’t draw too many conclusions from one bad rep or a bad game.
- Reading stunts.
- What is good one-arm technique in pass protection?
- Examples of how linemen work in concern on pass protection and run blocking schemes.
- Why size and strength matter so much for NFL linemen.
- What is coachable about Scherff’s game?
- Zierlein’s mini scouting report on Scherff.
- Which current NFL players are good examples of players with strong technique.
For a complete list of RSP Film Room episodes, check out this page.
Download the 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio + Post-Draft Update!
Friday’s are also my chance to thank you for reading my work, encourage you to follow the RSP blog, and download the Rookie Scouting Portfolio publication.
The 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio Post-Draft Add-On is ready for download. If you’re in a dynasty league, the combination of the 2014 RSP and the RSP Post-Draft will have you prepared for this year and beyond. Want details? Need details? I have ’em right here:
- 84 pages
- How to use the RSP and RSP-Post Draft together
- Good/Bad post-draft fits
- UDFAs to watch
- Long-term dynasty waiver wire gems
- Strategic overview of 2014 rookie drafts
- Tiered Value Chart Cheat Sheet across all positions
- Post-Draft rankings analysis and commentary–including notes about impending contracts years of competition on the depth charts
- Average Draft Position (ADP) Data of 19 dynasty drafts
- RSP Ranking-to-ADP Value Data
- Raw Data Worksheets to continue calculating additional ADP data for future drafts
Hell, take a video tour of the 2013 post-draft to see what I mean:
Seriously, this analysis is worth the price of the 2014 RSP package alone, but you get this as a part of your purchase with the 2014 RSP. Remember 10 percent of each sale is donated to Darkness to Light to prevent sexual abuse in communities across the United States. While that alone should get you to download the RSP package, do it because you will be blown away with the detail and insight of the analysis and content. It’s why the RSP has grown so much in the past nine years.
Best yet, 10 percent of each RSP sale is donated to Darkness to Light, a non-profit devoted to preventing and addressing sexual abuse through community training in schools, religious groups, and a variety of civic groups across the U.S.
In Case You Missed It/Coming Soon
- The Gut Check No.321: Boobie and Brice – Who they are, where they came from, and how to handle them in your fantasy league.
- RSP Film Room No.9 w/Matt Bitonti: LT Cedric Ogbuhei – Why Ogbuhei is a finesse player and what that means for his NFL potential.
- Boiler Room: WR Devante Davis – Davis is the good type of “raw prospect.” Find out why.
- Futures: Texas RB Malcolm Brown – Brown is another reason why this is a strong 2015 RB class.
Listens – Jamaaladeen Tacuma, Max Roach, and Carlos Santana
- Reception Perception – This series from Matt Harmon at Footballguys is a fantastic concept and well-executed, too. Andre Holmes, Terrance Williams, and Brian Quick profiled.
- Impact Tackles And the Need for More Comprehensive Stats in the NFL – From Lions assistant Matt Hamilton over at The Football Educator
- June Jones’s Retirement, and the Lasting Influence and Likely End of the Run-and-Shoot Offense
Listens – Christian McBride Band with David Gilmore: “Sonic Tonic”
You’ll have to click the link on the message to go to YouTube to watch, but I enjoyed it enough to put it here anyway.
Views – Dog and Jaguar Are Best Friends
Reads (Life In General)
- PaleyFest NY: The Wire Reunion (Video) – Yahoo! won’t let you embed its videos. If you love this show, you’ll enjoy the panel.
- Forget Ebola, It’s Soda That Should Terrify You Want to age faster? Drink a soda a day.
- “Saturday Night Live” and Richard Pryor: The untold story behind “SNL’s” edgiest sketch ever – Johnny Carson: “[Chevy Chase] couldn’t ad-lib a fart after a baked-bean dinner.”
- A Texas Militiaman Reconsiders the Mission – Charles Gilrbert joined the Texas Border Volunteers to “kick som ass,” but the group’s tactics forced him to do some soul-searching.
- 6 Terrifying (or IMO, Excellent) Ways Crows Are Way Smarter Than You Think
- Doctors Tell All–and It’s Bad – A crop of books by disillusioned physicians reveals a corrosive doctor-patient relationship at the heart of our health-care crisis.
Views – Every Frame A Painting: The Silence of the Lambs – Who Wins the Scene
This series is becoming a favorite of mine, fast. Ryan Riddle, you’ll love this . . .
Listens – J.J. Johnson Quintet playing Kenny Dorham’s “Blue Bossa”
Listens – David Gilmore, Jamaaladeen Tacuma, and Will Calhoun
Listens – Jamaaladeen Tacuma-Jean Paul Bourelly – Brotherzone Live – Universal Love