This week’s RLV: Dexter Gordon, Doug Farrar on Blake Bortles, Mike Tanier’s All-Snyder Team, and our poet laureate on the President.
If you’re new to the RSP blog, welcome to my weekend post Reads Listens Views. This is my chance to post links to articles, performances, and photos I’ve found in recent weeks that I want to share. Some of this content has to do with football, but most of it doesn’t. You might not like everything in this post, but chances are you’ll like something.
Listens – RIP Horace Silver
Great jazz composer and I’m understating it. He was the equivalent of a gateway drug to get into the music.
I have a great base of readers. For those of you new to the Rookie Scouting Portfolio, the publication is available every April 1. You can learn more about the RSP here. If you want to see samples of the play-by-play notes I take to write the analysis, you can find them here. And to download past versions of the publication (2006-2012), go here.
Remember, 10 percent of each sale is donated to Darkness to Light, a non-profit devoted to preventing and addressing sexual abuse through community training in schools, religious groups, and a variety of civic groups across the U.S. Here is what the RSP donated to D2L this year. I have an announcement about the 2014 RSP in January. Stay tuned.
Listens – Smetena Die Moldau
Not bad for a deaf man, eh?
- How to Write: A Year of Advice – Highlights from 12 months of interviews with writers about their craft and the authors they love
- Student Suspended for Sexual Harassment After Hugging Teacher
- How Americans Were Deceived About Cell Phone Location Data
- If a Drone Strike Hit an American Wedding, We’d Ground Our Fleet
- Topless Jihadis: Inside the World’s Most Radical Feminist Movement
- Healthful Habits Can Help Induce Sleep Without The Pills
- Ishmael Reed – America’s Poet Laureate – on Jazz and Our President
Listens – I Know You Got Soul . . .
- What Really Went Wrong With Robert Griffin – Smart Football gives his take.
- Film Room: Tony Romo – Cian Fahey does a nice job highlighting the difference between talent (Cowboys) vs. execution (Green Bay)
- The All-Snyder Team – Sports on Earth entertainment from Mike Tanier.
- Doug Farrar’s Scouting Report on UCF QB Blake Bortles
Listens – Dexter Gordon