My weekly list of links, tunes, and reads (football and otherwise), in addition to a thank you for supporting this blog and the annual Rookie Scouting Portfolio Publication. This includes a new ‘No-Huddle Series’ piece, Some serious saxophone playing, a good mock draft from Russ Lande, a piece from Sports on Earth, and Omer Avital. Check it.
Listens – Best Stop-Time Solo Ever
Sonny Rollins, Kennedy Honors Recipient
Things at the RSP are about to ramp up. I am already ahead of schedule with my game study and I hope that my holiday break will get me in position to have attained 75-80 percent of my player goal for the 2013 Rookie Scouting Portfolio. This means I’ll continue to provide in-depth, play-by-play analysis and essays about prospects on the blog – including Senior Bowl coverage both here and at the New York Times Fifth Down.
If you haven’t read the 2012 RSP, you ought to check it out. The pre-draft and post-draft publications are a package set and the feedback this year was tremendous. I will be doing the same with the 2013 publication, making the pre-draft available for download (as always) on April 1 and the post-draft publication available one week after the NFL Draft. The option to prepay – as you’ve requested – will be available the same time as last year – more on that in January.
This promotion of my work ahead comes with a thank you to those of you who read and support the blog as well as my publication. I have fantastic readers. I wish I could spend more time corresponding with those of you who take the time to send me quality stuff on a regular basis. It is something I value even if I can’t always respond in kind with equal time and effort.
- No-Huddle Series: WR Darius Johnson, SMU – The No-Huddle Series that brought you the likes of Bryce Brown, LaVon Brazill, and Bobby Rainey is back. Check out Johnson, a receiver June Jones says might be the best he’s ever coached. Considering the alumni from his programs, that’s carries some weight.
- Sports on Earth: The Black Book – A fun, clever piece from Shaun Powell on how Robert Griffin stands up to an outdated book written by Dumb Ass.
- Speculating in a Minefield: Race and Quarterbacking – A more sincere take on the topic.
- Russ Lande’s NFP Mock Draft 2.0 – If you’re into the machinations of the process as much as the players, then here you go. I agree with the idea of Alec Ogletree to Baltimore and Dee Milliner to Detroit.
- 20 Gentle Quotations from Mister Rogers:“We live in a world in which we need to share responsibility. It’s easy to say, ‘It’s not my child, not my community, not my world, not my problem.’ Then there are those who see the need and respond. I consider those people my heroes.” Spoken in 1994, quoted in his obituary in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Is Wal-Mart Destroying America? Facts about Wal-Mart that will absolutely shock you: My wife has worked with them not so long as go as a global sourcing manage for a multinational corporation. She’s been sharing these points with me at every turn. Now they’re all written in one spot.
- 13, “Top-100” Book Lists Combined – Awesome list.
- The Best Reporting on Guns in America – From a variety of angles.