FF Astronauts analyst and RSP alum J. Moyer returns to the RSP Cast for some scout talk, and a much needed sanity check for the both of us, about NFL running backs, including the 49ers’ backfield and second-year pros.
This is my favorite podcast of the year so far for so many reasons. J’s great people and it’s always fun to catch up. He may also be the only analyst I know who I can have the conversations about running back play that few can have and have it translate to the listener.
This is much-needed running back therapy for anyone out there who wants to understand the position (or thinks they have a handle but need an intervention);
- San Francisco has set the bar too high for its best players and it’s showing up on the field.
- Detroit is getting the best from its running back room.
- Why Jonathan Taylor would have been a better fit in Kansas City and Clyde Edwards Helaire would have been an ideal fit in Tampa Bay.
- Running back decision-making is a lot like quarterback decision-making, but as the game has evolved fans and teams have maintained a 1960s understanding of the position that’s rooted in speed, strength, and the vastly overstated, “instincts.”
- If there’s a young back whose excpetional talent proves the rule, it’s Antonio Gibson.
- In contrast, James Robinson does everything well that you ask for a runner — something many teams say they want and set the bar too high — and Urban Meyer didn’t want it.
This was a therapeutic conversation for J and I and one I think is a much-needed dose of reality about the position that the masses misunderstand on a large scale.
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), download the 2022 Rookie Scouting Portfolio for $21.95. There’s an early-bird discount of $19.95 from 12/15/21-12/25/21.
Matt’s new RSP Dynasty Rankings and Two-Year Projections Package is available for $24.95
If you’re a fantasy owner and interested in purchasing past publications for $9.95 each, the 2012-2020 RSPs also have a Post-Draft Add-on that’s included at no additional charge.
Best yet, a proceeds from sales are set aside for a year-end donation to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse.