Former FCS Player of the Year Vad Lee returns to the RSP Film Room for a film study session of Georgia quarterback and 2021 NFL Draft prospect Jamie Newman.
Vad Lee is a pro quarterback and passing instructor with stints in the CFL and recently, the XFL. A former starter at Georgia Tech and James Madison, Lee earned the FCS Player of the Year award as a junior, delivering 30 touchdowns and 7 interceptions and completing over 65 percent of his passes.
At one point before a foot injury that cost Lee much of his senior year, Lee generated significant NFL interest. I profiled Lee’s game a few years ago for an RSP Film Room—and Lee was a guest on the show.
Lee, who has recently authored “Purpose over Position,” a book about leadership, adversity, and mindset that’s about to be published, returns to the show this week for a film study on Georgia’s new quarterback Jamie Newman. We spend most of the hour covering a variety of technical aspects of quarterbacking:
- How Newman spins the ball so well.
- Why the front foot is a vital part of accuracy and quick release.
- How the bend of the knees and throwing motion create a good spiral and a deep ball with a productive strong trajectory.
- The role of shoulder position in the trajectory of a deep pass.
- What Newman does well as a reader and manipulator of defenses in the passing game.
- Where Newman’s prowess as a ball carrier aids his work as a red-zone and green-zone passer.
- The mechanics behind a throw that comes out too low.
- Why Vad is a fan of Jimmy Garoppolo’s work and how it carries over to what we’re seeing with pro quarterbacks entering the NFL?
At the end of the show, Vad shares more about his book and shares some revealing answers about the challenges of being games away from a possible shot in the NFL before a significant injury and now, still at the age and ability to be seeking a shot while also balancing those aspirations with a future beyond athletics.
Check it out…
For the most in-depth analysis of offensive skill players available (QB, RB, WR, and TE), download the 2021 Rookie Scouting Portfolio for $21.95.
Matt’s new RSP Dynasty Rankings and Two-Year Projections Package is available for $24.95
If you’re a fantasy owner and interested in purchasing past publications for $9.95 each, the 2012-2020 RSPs also have a Post-Draft Add-on that’s included at no additional charge.
Best yet, a percentage of each sale is set aside for a year-end donation to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse.