It may seem strange to many of you, but the first thing that comes to mind when I think of Jene Bramel and football isn’t injuries, but defense. But some of you diehards know exactly why.
I’ve been waiting patiently for Jene to be my guest in the RSP Film Room and when I got the call, his only request was that we would watch Eric Kendricks. When Jene asks you for something you want to give it to him, because he rarely asks for anything.
It also helps that Jene has a fine eye for the game and I’ve long valued his takes on linebacker play. I was quietly hoping he’d choose Kendricks, an instinctive linebacker who is arguably the best in class.
In this week’s episode, Jene and I have a lot to discuss about Kendricks and the linebacker position:
- What is a read step and a bucket step?
- Why does Kendricks press the hole well?
- The importance of linebackers taking on blocks versus running around them.
- Where does Kendricks display leverage and strength?
- What are consistent flaws in Kendricks’ tape that will need refinement?
- The components of Kendricks’ excellent technique as a tackler.
- Displays of Kendricks covering a lot of ground.
- Where he can play in the NFL?
- Best team fits for Kendricks.
It’s a fine episode that I know you’ll enjoy whether it has to do with Kendricks’ play or Jene’s analysis. If you haven’t seen the rest of the RSP Film Room episodes, check them out at this page or subscribe to the RSP Film Room on YouTube.
For analysis of skill players in this year’s draft class, get the 2015 Rookie Scouting Portfolio – available for pre-order now. Better yet, if you’re a fantasy owner the 56-page Post-Draft Add-on comes with the 2012 – 2015 RSPs at no additional charge. Best, yet, 10 percent of every sale is donated to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse. You can purchase past editions of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio for just $9.95 apiece.
The 2015 RSP, like every other RSP from 2006-2014, will be ready for download April 1.