Awesome Horror Movie Analysis, 50 Scary Short Stories, Emory Hunt (a monster in a good way), and Angelou on Con Men.
What is Reads Listens Views?
If you’re new to the Rookie Scouting Portfolio blog, welcome. I post links on Fridays to content I’m saving for later consumption or pieces that I found compelling. You may not like everything listed here, but you’re bound to like something.
Views – Maya Angelou on Con Men (w/Studs Terkel)
Fascinating story about a long con with Robin Hood-like mentality.
Views-Emory Hunt’s Football Game Plan Series: Eagles vs. Texans Week 9
Hunt does really strong work. I’m beyond impressed. Check out his site.
RSP Film Room: “Tackle Fest” w/Matt Bitonti (A&M OT Cedric Ogbuhei)
Matt Bitonti and I break down A&M left tackle Cedric Ogbuhei. For a complete list of RSP Film Room episodes, check out this page.
Download the 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio + Post-Draft Update!
Friday’s are also my chance to thank you for reading my work, encourage you to follow the RSP blog, and download the Rookie Scouting Portfolio publication.
The 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio Post-Draft Add-On is ready for download. If you’re in a dynasty league, the combination of the 2014 RSP and the RSP Post-Draft will have you prepared for this year and beyond. Want details? Need details? I have ’em right here:
- 84 pages
- How to use the RSP and RSP-Post Draft together
- Good/Bad post-draft fits
- UDFAs to watch
- Long-term dynasty waiver wire gems
- Strategic overview of 2014 rookie drafts
- Tiered Value Chart Cheat Sheet across all positions
- Post-Draft rankings analysis and commentary–including notes about impending contracts years of competition on the depth charts
- Average Draft Position (ADP) Data of 19 dynasty drafts
- RSP Ranking-to-ADP Value Data
- Raw Data Worksheets to continue calculating additional ADP data for future drafts
Hell, take a video tour of the 2013 post-draft to see what I mean:
Seriously, this analysis is worth the price of the 2014 RSP package alone, but you get this as a part of your purchase with the 2014 RSP. Remember 10 percent of each sale is donated to Darkness to Light to prevent sexual abuse in communities across the United States. While that alone should get you to download the RSP package, do it because you will be blown away with the detail and insight of the analysis and content. It’s why the RSP has grown so much in the past nine years.
Best yet, 10 percent of each RSP sale is donated to Darkness to Light, a non-profit devoted to preventing and addressing sexual abuse through community training in schools, religious groups, and a variety of civic groups across the U.S.
In Case You Missed It/Coming Soon
- RSP Sample: Steelers WR Martavis Bryant
- Futures: K-State WR Tyler Lockett
- Boiler Room: WR Devante Davis – Davis is the good type of “raw prospect.” Find out why.
- Futures: Texas RB Malcolm Brown – Brown is another reason why this is a strong 2015 RB class.
- Fantasy Throwdown – New tourneys happening as you read this.
- Kevin Kolb Battles the Storms, Outside and In – It’s worth knowing what recent football players are dealing with post-NFL.
- Fred McCrary: ‘Father Time Ain’t On My Side‘ – SI’s Jim Trotter travels down the road from me to check on the former fullback (from 2013). It ain’t pretty.
- Emory Hunt’s Website Football Gameplan.com – Just get over there already, will ya?
Views – Better Things to Do With Drones (and Their Cousin, the Remote Helicopter)
Reads (Life In General)
- 13 Classic Scenes That Explain How Horror Movies Work – Most enjoyable content I’ve read this week.
- Podcasts So Good You Want to Binge-Listen – I’ll have to check these out for my commute. Maybe you will, too.
- The Lottery – Recommended by Jene Bramel for this Hallow’s Eve.
- Cask of Amontillado – Another recommendation from the good doctor who’s feeling a bit ghoulish.
- 50 of the Scariest Short Stories of All-Time – I found these, and The Lottery is included.
- How to Build a Steampunk Cat Transit System – Bob Harris, I think this might be up your alley.
- See every New Deal project in America, in one Map – “The politics behind this are well-known at this point and there’s no need to rehash them, but suffice it to say that we abandoned the idea of fueling the recovery with these kinds of projects far too soon.”
- Woman in ‘catcall’ video getting rape threats online – A lot of these behaviors from the men in this video were inappropriate and the backlash online is sickening. At the same time, this take from the women of Fox’s Outnumbered isn’t representative of the female population’s views, either. However, some of the behaviors Ms. Roberts faced and the views of the Outnumbered cast raises an interesting question about the difference of being gentlemanly, flirtatious, creepy, harassing, and predatory.
- 5 Products You Probably Buy That Are Quietly Driving Human Rights Abuses – From clothing brands to fast food to chocolate to backpacks.
- Color Codes – A Poet examines race in America.
- Obamacare: what it is, what it’s not – Written by Michael Goodwin of Economix Comix. An interesting use of illustration to profile the Affordable Care Act of 2010. I haven’t read it yet.
- Vote All You Want. The Secret Government Won’t Change – Not as conspiratorial as the title sounds.
- A Wave in the MInd: Virginia Woolf on Writing and Consciousness – “A sight, an emotion, creates this wave in the mind, long before it makes words to fit it.”
Views – Skateboard Parody Video w/a Wheelbarrow
Views – Real World Travelers
Listens – James Carter Organ Trio, “Walk The Dog”
Listens – Bobby Shew’s “Shewhorn” (AKA “Me, Myself, and Irene”)