Lance Zierlein of the Sideline View stops by and gives a clinic on evaluating tackle play.
If you want to say you learned something about football today (and it be a dramatic understatement), watch and learn from Zierlein in this fantastic hangout. Co-owner of The Sideline View, Zierlein teams with former NFL coaches and personnel managers to teach the fine points of playing the game.
Zierlein has an excellent game-to-game and play-to-play perspective about studying linemen and he shares a ton of excellent information on what to watch and why:
- Why technique is so important to understand when evaluating players.
- The why and how of having flat feet when delivering a punch.
- Why tackles don’t want to “open the door” too early against edge rushers.
- Why you shouldn’t draw too many conclusions from one bad rep or a bad game.
- Reading stunts.
- What is good one-arm technique in pass protection?
- Examples of how linemen work in concern on pass protection and run blocking schemes.
- Why size and strength matter so much for NFL linemen.
- What is coachable about Scherff’s game?
- Zierlein’s mini scouting report on Scherff.
- Which current NFL players are good examples of players with strong technique.
For a complete list of RSP Film Room episodes, check out this page.
For analysis of skill players in this year’s draft class, download the 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio – available now. Better yet, if you’re a fantasy owner the 56-page Post-Draft Add-on comes with the 2012 – 2014 RSPs at no additional charge. Best, yet, 10 percent of every sale is donated to Darkness to Light to combat sexual abuse. You can purchase past editions of the Rookie Scouting Portfolio for just $9.95 apiece.
The 2015 RSP will be available for pre-order in January.