Horace Silver, Sweet Spots and Dead Zones, Getting Freaky, RSPWP3, and RSP Post-Draft
What is Reads Listens Views?
If you’re new to the Rookie Scouting Portfolio blog, welcome. I post links on Fridays to content I’m saving for later consumption or pieces that I found compelling. You may not like everything listed here, but you’re bound to like something.
Rest in peace, Horace Silver.
When most well-intentioned aid workers hear of a problem they think they can fix, they go to work. This, Ernesto Sirolli suggests, is naïve. In this funny and impassioned talk, he proposes that the first step is to listen to the people you’re trying to help, and tap into their own entrepreneurial spirit. His advice on what works will help any entrepreneur.
Download the 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio + Post-Draft Update!
Friday’s are also my chance to thank you for reading my work, encourage you to follow the RSP blog, and download the Rookie Scouting Portfolio publication.
The 2014 Rookie Scouting Portfolio Post-Draft Add-On is ready for download. If you’re in a dynasty league, the combination of the 2014 RSP and the RSP Post-Draft will have you prepared for this year and beyond. Want details? Need details? I have ’em right here:
- 84 pages
- How to use the RSP and RSP-Post Draft together
- Good/Bad post-draft fits
- UDFAs to watch
- Long-term dynasty waiver wire gems
- Strategic overview of 2014 rookie drafts
- Tiered Value Chart Cheat Sheet across all positions
- Post-Draft rankings analysis and commentary–including notes about impending contracts years of competition on the depth charts
- Average Draft Position (ADP) Data of 19 dynasty drafts
- RSP Ranking-to-ADP Value Data
- Raw Data Worksheets to continue calculating additional ADP data for future drafts
Hell, take a video tour of the 2013 post-draft to see what I mean:
Seriously, this analysis is worth the price of the 2014 RSP package alone, but you get this as a part of your purchase with the 2014 RSP. Remember 10 percent of each sale is donated to Darkness to Light to prevent sexual abuse in communities across the United States. While that alone should get you to download the RSP package, do it because you will be blown away with the detail and insight of the analysis and content. It’s why the RSP has grown so much in the past nine years.
Best yet, 10 percent of each RSP sale is donated to Darkness to Light, a non-profit devoted to preventing and addressing sexual abuse through community training in schools, religious groups, and a variety of civic groups across the U.S.
In Case You Missed It/Coming Soon
- The Third Annual RSP Writers’ Project – Plenty of updated submissions this week.
- Michael Schottey’s GM Response to “The Freak Getting Freaky”
- Jason Wood’s GM Response to “Leveraging Dirt”
- The Gut Check No.298 – Drop Rates for WRs
- Reality Sports Online Auction Drafts + How to Create an Auction Value from VBD Projections.
- WR Size: Is It Valid Analysis? – This is a joint project with Chase Stuart.
- The Gut Check No.296 – Late-Round WR Watch
- The One Trade Advice Article That You Need to Read + Trade Value Chart – Need to figure out values for trading players, here’s a good way to begin.
- The NCAA is on Trial and a Noted Civil Rights Historian is on The Players’ Bench – This video interview of a genius grant winner is essential viewing to understand the players’ side in this trial against the NCAA.
- Mario Balotelli’s Heartbreaking Response to Racially Motivated Criticism Shows World Cup Fandom at Its Worst
- Sweet Spots and Dead Zones – Sigmund Bloom’s examination of ADP and draft strategy.
- Deep Sleepers at Footballguys – An group feature that’s always popular.
Reads (Life In General)
- Treating the Disease Instead of the Person– Why good (and immediate) communication also extends to the patient’s family in an emergency.
- A 50-year-old’s advice to his 25-year-old self – Good advice for any age.
- A Former Drug Dealer’s Great Defense of Liberal Arts Education
- A Woman’s Plan to Kill Herself Helped Her Family Grieve – Those of you who view suicide as a sin might not agree but as a former hospice volunteer, I get it.
- Runner-Up Religions of America – A map that shows the second-most represented religions in each state in the U.S. The info might surprise you.
- How a Scar Changed a Career – “Omar comin’,” the story of Michael K. Williams’ career.
- 4-Year-Old Foils Burglary Plot – Not a good look for the state of Wisconsin, either.
- ‘The Daily Show’ Perfectly Sums Up What It’s Like to Be a Woman on Campus Today